Musings

Thursday, January 01, 2015

Human

This is finally the first post for a blog conceived several years ago.

Why start it now? Because the first of January is a time for resolving to make changes. And because 2015 will, I hope, see significant change in the way I live my life.

The inspiration for this blog is the realisation that Life is truly a miracle. Until recently I gave little thought to how Life began. The story about organic chemicals forming in the primordial soup from basic atomic ingredients as a result of energy input from the sun/lightening/thermal vents is, when considered carefully, inadequate: amino acids may be necessary but not sufficient for life. Replication is necessary. Something that evolution can gain a purchase upon. 

Other stories remain equally unconvincing. 

Life decreases entropy. Energy is required. 

Was there a 'first Life' which replicated until changes in the progeny resulted in sufficient difference for speciation to have occurred?

It is truly mind-boggling. Does it matter if we are never able to answer this question? In the meantime we are responsible for the loss of Life both in species terms as well as in terms of the number of living things. This is something we can understand but seem unable to do much about. We follow a Malthusian curve.

Does it matter?

In the grand scheme of things, not a bit. The average species lasts around two to three million years. More than 99% of species that have existed are extinct. We will have our time and it will pass. Life will continue regardless.

So here's the plan: to observe and make note of a different living species each day. It's a tall order, a challenge, for me to find the time to do this. I am already pessimistic about my chances of success. But again, it doesn't really matter. I shall do what I can.

My first species is Homo sapiens. (see photo - About Me)

No comments: